Bread is one of the simplest and most satisfying things to make at home, and with a little bit of practice, you can create delicious loaves that will rival anything you can buy in a bakery. In this post, we'll share a simple bread recipe that's perfect for beginners, with easy-to-follow instructions and tips to help you achieve the perfect loaf.
- 500g strong white flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 300ml warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Make a well in the centre and pour in the warm water and olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients together until you have a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a tea towel, and leave in a warm place to rise for around an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Place a tray of water on the bottom shelf of the oven to create steam.
- Turn the risen dough out onto a baking sheet and shape into a loaf. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Slash the top of the loaf with a sharp knife and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Make sure your water is warm, but not too hot - around 40-45°C is perfect.
- Knead the dough until it's smooth and elastic - this will help develop the gluten in the flour and give your bread a better texture.
- Use a baking sheet or a baking stone to bake your bread - this will help create a crisp crust.
- If you don't have a tray to create steam, you can also place a dish of water in the oven to create moisture.