England v India: fourth Test, day four – as it happened

• Thread starter Tim de Lisle (earlier) and Rob Smyth (later)
  • Start date
T

Tim de Lisle (earlier) and Rob Smyth (later)

Another thrilling, topsy-turvy day at the Oval ended with England on 77 for nought, needing another 291 runs for an extraordinary victory

99th over: India 287-3 (Kohli 32, Jadeja 16) Robinson, who has removed Kohli three times, very nearly does so again with a textbook away-swinger that comes bearing bounce as well as movement. Next ball, Kohli retorts with a dab for three, and Jadeja, like a good second fiddle, takes the hint by glancing for four. And that’s the fifty partnership, out of nowhere, off 18 overs. England badly need a wicket.

98th over: India 280-3 (Kohli 29, Jadeja 12) Anderson is bowling 82-83mph, still getting some lift, and he gives Jadeja a bruise on the arm, just above the elbow. Michael Holding reckons he was quicker than usual yesterday, 85-86mph, though it brought him no wickets. In the crowd, the cameras find a girl of about eight holding up a sign. “Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy,” it says, “win me win me win me my first Test match.” If that doesn’t spur the old boy on, I don’t know what will.

Continue reading...

Continue reading...