What gluten-free treats can I make if I want biscuits? | Kitchen aide

A

Anna Berrill

From amaretti to nut-based cakes, there are plenty of flour-free choices out there, not to mention all sorts of gluten-free flours to experiment with

• Got a culinary dilemma? Email feast@theguardian.com

I miss biscuits, flapjacks and other treats, and I’m bored with squares of chocolate.
Sam, Brighton

“Our flourless chocolate cake is our top seller – people are obsessed with it,” says Jessica Elliott Dennison, owner of Edinburgh neighbourhood kitchen Elliott’s. “What’s nice is it just happens to be gluten-free.” Heading down the naturally gluten-free path is a good idea, because, let’s face it, it just makes life easier, and Dennison’s chocolate cake couldn’t be simpler to knock up: “Melt dark chocolate, butter and a pinch of salt, cool slightly, then throw in cocoa powder and soft brown sugar.” Whisk, crack in eggs, and now you can take it in whatever direction you fancy – add espresso, citrus zest, vanilla or nuts, say – then bake until slightly risen. “I’ve also discovered that if you put the leftovers in the freezer, it tastes like Ben & Jerry’s chocolate fudge brownie ice-cream.” Enough said.

Continue reading...

Continue reading...